Today Dominicans everywhere (whether on the island or not) celebrate the Independence of their country. In the spirit of the holiday I am sharing some of my favorite Dominican things…
- Mangu. I mean really how can I live without my platanos! Here’s a Mangu recipe. New York Chica just posted a picture this morning of her mangu skills
- The smell of my country. I can’t explain it but it smells like palm trees, warm breeze, sunshine coconuts and platanos.
- Junot Diaz. This Pulitzer prize winning author and his book the Brief Wondorous Life of Oscar Wao. Yea, enough said. I just purchased This is How You Lose Her. I can’t wait to start reading that one.
- Speaking of authors I love Julia Alvarez books How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accent, In the Time of the Butterflies (which was made into a movie with Salma Hayek and Marc Anthony) and the Tia Lola series for our kids just getting into reading and books. I’m a book worm myself so I love to share my love of reading with my kids and also support my Latino writers.
- Merengue..not the pie the music!
- Bachata and Romeo Santos/Aventura. Bachata just lets you mellow in your sorrows. I love it. Here’s a song Romeo made with Usher!and a song he made with Drake
- Queso Tropical. It’s the best cheese you can fry. Period. Add that to your mangu and just call me for dinner.
- That’s Dominican.com. Their YouTube videos are hilarious. And so true!
Happy Dominican Independence Day to all my fellow Dominicans!